Friday 22 June 2012

INTERVIEW: Adeia


Fresh from reviewing their debut album, Hourglass, I was lucky enough to catch up with Adeia’s violin player, Laura, and cellist, Ruben.  Over a highly enjoyable evening, we talk conservatories, Dutch metal, and the future…

I should start by saying congratulations on your debut album, which was awesome!

Laura: Thank you so much.

Ruben: Thanks, always nice to hear.

I think I’m right in saying that Adeia has 7 members. That’s loads! How did you all get together in the first place?

Laura: About 3 ½ years ago I found myself at a personal crossroads, I wanted to make music out of my comfort zone, I wanted to try something new.  Also I listened to lots of different music for a very long time, and felt that classical music was holding me back.  It has a lot of rules, you know?  So I guess I followed my heart back then, put the whole conservatory against me, created a new subject at school and called it metal for strings.  And then the journey began.  Most band members right now joined me in that class and we started to make music…

So you all met at the conservatory?

Laura: Ruben and I actually began to write our first song then.  We knew each other from the beginning, from the classical department.  The bass player joined us later.  He played in a few bands before he joined Adeia.

Ruben: He’s more rock ’n roll than the rest of us combined!  He played in a punk band when he was 15 or something.

Laura: My goal was and is to combine classical music and heavy metal.

Ruben: Not only that but to really fuse it together.  There’s been lots of bands playing gigs with orchestras and stuff.  It got old.

Your album has bits of everything in it, from prog to classical.  Given your musical backgrounds, do you consider classical to be your biggest musical influence?

Laura: No, not for me.

Ruben: I think it was always in the back of our heads, but we’re not trying to make classical more metal, more the other way round.

Laura: I studied classical music, yes, but like I said, I listen to a lot of stuff.  From Simon and Garfunkel I can switch to Opeth.  What I like about classical music are the melodies, the chords, but I love the metal riffs (also playing them) and the heaviness.  When for example I write songs, or write them together with Ruben […] we can use our classical basis, for chords and stuff, and combining the instrument parts.

A couple of bands in Europe have got string players in their permanent line ups, but cello and violin still remain two pretty unusual metal instruments.  What do you feel you both bring to the music and what influence do you have on the band?

Ruben: Laura’s role in the band is the important one.  She’s the creative mastermind behind it all, and she comes up with the concepts for songs, etc.  From there we expand on the ideas with the rest of the band.  My role is mostly the nitty gritty stuff: getting the arrangements worked out on sheet music, that sort of stuff.

Laura: Well, Ruben and I know each other for 6 years now (or is it 7?) and we work really well together.  On Inheritance, for example, we wrote all the string parts, but also lots of other stuff, like riffs.  And the lead singer, Frank, wrote for example Providence.  He studied songwriting.  It started with me writing poems a few years ago and now I use them for the songs.  I start with a poem and then try to translate it to music, so the lyrics are the basis of it all.

There’s some really powerful imagery in your lyrics.  What does it all mean?  I got the impression they were all linked by a common theme of a struggle for individual identity.

Laura: Really?  OK, well I didn’t write them linked by a theme!  Coincidence, I think.

Ruben: Maybe not purely a coincidence.  I think that us all being roughly the same age, we tend to struggle with the same things in life in varying degrees.

Laura: Yes.  We all come from different places, we all have a different basis.  That’s what makes it fun to work together.  For example, I started playing the violin when I got a very old violin of my grandfather, who was 92 then [this is where some of the lyrics of their song, Inheritance, come from].  I was 11 years old, so that was the beginning of the story!

And what do you find, Laura, that other band members bring to the lyrics when you write together?  Is it just helping with the music, or do they also contribute to the poetry?

Laura: I think especially Ruben and Franc, the lead singer help me put them in a frame, you know?  Ruben helps me translate and Franc helps me to make them poetic in the English language, and stay close to the Dutch ones.  But I write the poetry and imaginary references.

Ruben: Especially Franc is brilliant with English vocabulary and stuff.

Most metal fans may be familiar with a couple of Dutch bands, like Within Temptation and Epica, but the Netherlands is not on the metal map in the same way as some other countries.  Are there any Dutch bands you’ve been influenced by?

Ruben: Not really, but there are a few good ones.  As you rightly said before the Dutch metal scene is more the goth-metal kinda stuff from Epica and Within Temptation.  We’re not really like that, although Epica does have some nice songs.  I listen to a lot more of the extreme stuff: Emperor, Behemoth, Nile.  We have to have blastbeats on the album.

Laura: I really like the music of Enslaved, because of his grunts but also harmonically.  But also Amorphis and Lengsel are some of my favourites.  There is a really good singer songwriter in Holland, though.  His name is Boudewijn de Groot, and his lyrics are really poetic, very beautiful.

One last question, and it’s the most important one!  Where next for Adeia?  You’re currently unsigned, but will you guys be releasing more material, and can we expect to see you touring the UK any time soon?

Laura: Ha ha!  Well, we are working on some new material, and love to come to the UK!  We sent already the album out to a few labels a few weeks ago.

Ruben: Getting the album out on CD is also a bit priority.  There’s only so much you can do on your own.

Thank you both for the interview, and for your patience and good humour with the questions!  And the best of luck for the future!

Ruben: No problem.  Thanks for the review and the interview.

Laura: You’re welcome!  And we will keep you posted!


Adeia's debut album, Hourglass, is out now in mp3 format.

No comments:

Post a Comment