Tuesday 18 December 2012

INTERVIEW AND FEATURE: Morte McAdaver

 
He might not be a household name yet, but there are few characters as intriguing, talented, and colourful in metal as Morte McAdaver.  The fertile mind behind numerous American alternative metal projects agreed to meet for a virtual coffee to discuss particulars.  Amid great excitement and an extremely dodgy internet connection, we gathered to consider the past, present, and future...


 
 
First of all, I should say congratulations on your most recent album, Blacksoul Seraphim, which was excellent!
 
Thanks, I was really emboldened by your review!  My work rarely gets reviewed – apart from Sorrowseed – so to have a review of Blacksoul Seraphim so soon after it was released was really good.
 
Now, you’re something of a self-styled darkling.  Can you tell me how you got into music in the first place?
 
Really it was through making fun of music.  I was always involved with music from a young age, through choirs, religious music, that kind of stuff (although I’m not religious myself).  I got into writing stuff on the back of that.  I’m basically self-taught on guitar, bass, keyboard, and I just started writing my own music after listening to other peoples’ stuff.  Pretty much everything I do is a spin on another style.  Actually, Blacksoul Seraphim was the first purely funeral-doom thing I did.
 
And are you part of a wider network, either locally or more generally in America?
 
Well, I’m a shy guy.  I’m a recluse and it’s tough for me to communicate with communities.  It’s OK with individuals, and I’ve made some really good friends through music.  I’d love to join a community of self-styled darklings, should any wish to have me!
 
I think I’m right in saying you have 4 different projects going on at the moment (Blacksoul Seraphim, Sorrowseed, Pandora’s Toybox, and Cosmetic Conspiracy).  That’s quite a lot to be getting on with!
 
Well, actually Cosmetic Conspiracy is basically a studio project, with melancholy music and fetish themes.  I do other things, too.  At the moment, I’m working on the soundtrack for an independent horror game called “Spirit House”.  I also did a theme song for a convention I went to recently, specifically for a production called Kinky Science Theatre 3000.
 
But with your main projects, how do you manage to juggle everything?
 
Most important is that I have autonomy in everything I do, so in that respect it’s not that difficult.  Sorrowseed is the exception.  Lilith Astaroth – she’s key.  She puts in loads of work, like with publicity and stuff, which is why Sorrowseed has so many followers on the internet.  But in all projects, the main difficulty is getting personnel.  It’s difficult to get people who are prepared not to have too much creative input.  I mean, I try to give freedom with things like solos.  But mostly they need to do what they’re told, so keeping them involved and enthusiastic is the biggest problem.
 
Around this point, I grow aware of the tinkle of mischeivous laughter. It seems we're not alone: Morte quickly introduces me to "one of his fiances".  Is this really a man who can talk about poverty?
 
And, more specifically, what about touring?  How does that work when you’ve got so many different things going on?
 
Actually, our first tour just happened with Sorrowseed.  We just did part of the East Coast of America.  There were good moments, and stressful moments, as well.  It was a nice first try for things like that, but we had to sort everything out ourselves – I sorted out a van, booked hotels, made it all work.  The hurricane was difficult, though.  That made us cancel a date in Pennsylvania.
 
Will all of your groups continue in the future?
 
Well, to be honest – ah, Morte sighs, this will sound really pretentious – but they’re all little brainchildren of mine.  I have a real connection like that.  At worst, I’d just put one or two of them on extended hiatus.  If there was one which was more favourable than the others, for example in respect to money, then I’d focus on that one.  The thing is, after you’ve done loads of work on a specific band or album you kind of get sick of it, so you have to take little breaks!  It’s entirely possible that certain projects could “fulfil their purpose” and gracefully come to an end, but certainly not in the immediate future.
 
There was a large political element to your most recent work, Blacksoul Seraphim.  Could you describe this in your own words?
 
Really, I was inspired by watching the news.  I’ve always been aware of what’s going on, but since 2012 I got very interested and started paying more attention.  Obviously there was the American election, which was important, but there’s a lot of economic unrest going on, like in Greece.  Also, I was very interested in Catholic imagery and mythology.  I wanted to do something serious – other projects of mine haven’t been quite as bleak!  I mainly touch on subjects of poverty and evil.
 
Listening from across the pond, I was particularly interested in the cover of an old English rebel song, uh…, what was it called?
 
Well, I called it “Song On the Times”.  I wasn’t sure whether that was right – maybe “Song Of the Times” sounds better, but most sources called it the former.  I’ve always been a Chumbawumba fan.  Before, it was a guilty pleasure, you know?  But then, more recently, I found their older stuff.  This song was perfect for the vocal range and the simple harmonies and rhythms.  It intertwines feelings of despair with rebellion and hope.  I like to depress people to the point where they actually do something about it!  Actually, in the final song of Blacksoul Seraphim, Psalm of Insurrection, that was the main idea – I imagined the sick, the weak, the downtrodden filling the streets in protest.
 
All very well, but can music really make a difference politically?  I keep being drawn back to the attempts of Rage Against the Machine to change the world, and how they decided they failed to do so.
 
Actually, I’m not sure Rage did fail.  That era was good for bands like them to succeed.  But can music make a difference?  If it can, I’m not sure how much.  To be honest, and this might sound a bit condescending, I don’t think people look for messages in lyrics – that was why I was so pleased when you did in your review.  I welcome anyone to prove me wrong, though.  It’s always good to have people look deeper.  I’d like to change the world, of course, but music alone doesn’t seem like the optimal approach.
 
But your other projects have a strong sense of big issues, too.  Sorrowseed, in particular, springs to mind, with environmentalism.  Are these all going concerns of yours?
 
Well, in a way they are – I mean, hell, I voted to Jill Stein in the last election.  But I’m not as much of a hippy as I was before.  The reaping willow is the main element of the first Sorrowseed album disc, as she destroys humanity out of hatred and sorrow for them.  The environmental message is there, but it isn’t intended as activist.  It’s primarily just a cool basis for the apocalypse, inspired by all the Lovecraft and D&D books I read when I was growing up.
 
Well, this is all very interesting!  But we live in a sceptical age of postmodernism and psychoanalysis, and I’m afraid the only way we can be convinced of your political reliability is by running you through a rudimentary, unscientific test that I hurriedly prepared beforehand.
 
Absolutely!  I like having my brains picked!
 
Don’t worry – nothing too difficult.
 
Laughs  Oh, like “Are taxes good?”
 
Don’t worry, it’s nothing as complicated as that!  First up, multiple choice.  Picture the scene.  Your walking through rural farmland and you come across a sack of organic manure.  Do you see: a) the future; b) a waste of space; or c) a bag of old shit?
 
That mischievous laughter from somewhere West of Morte's computer keyboard chimes up again, and Morte's own mirth breaks out in unison.
 
 
The future?!  Ha ha!  No, I’ll go for c) a bag of old shit.
 
A new scene.  Your walking past a bank, and you look in through the window, and you see a bag of gold (very likely in this day and age, when banks deal entirely in credit…).  Do you see: a? the future; b) a waste of space; or c) a bag of old shit?
 
I would have to say, however much I dislike it, the answer would have to be a), the future.  I can’t see anything changing at the moment.
 
 
And one more from this section.  In the average American president, do you see a) the future; b) a waste of space; or c) a bag of old shit?
 
 
Hmmm…  The average American president?  What’s c) again?  A bag of old shit?  And b) is a waste of space.  Well, I’d probably say b) then.  No-one’s really done anything since Clinton.  They all seem to compromise their principles when they’re in office.
 
All very interesting!  How about this one, though?  Picture (yet another) scene: you’re walking through the countryside, and you stop to talk to each of the following: a fox; an onion; the sky.  Which one would you be most inclined to believe?
 
I’d say the onion.  He seems like a stable guy, just going “Hey, I’m an onion, what’s up?”
 
 
A good choice: the onion is, indeed, the only reputable news provider out of itself, the fox, and the sky.
 
 
And finally, how about some word association?
 
Oh, jeez!
 
Don’t worry, there’s no wrong answers!
 
I know, that’s the problem!
 
Right.  Prosperous?
Phospherous
 

Jupiter.
 
 
Prosperous?  Really?
 
 
Oh, prosperous, I thought you said “phosphorous”!  Lost in translation, and we're speaking in the same language!  The interview is ajourned while the participants - Morte's fiance included - catch their breath.
 
 
Jobless?
 
 
Hobo.

Soulless
 
 
Soulless?

 
Machine.
 
 
Worthy?
 
 
Tea.
 
 
As in the drink?
 
 
Yes!  When you said “worthy” I thought of the name “Worthington”, and imagined a posh guy drinking tea!
 
 
Sinner?
 
 
Pitchfork.
 
 
Saint?
 
 
Heaven.  I know, it’s terrible.  I was really trying to think of something witty!
 
 
And finally, Jay-Z?
Jay-Z

 
Sucks.
 
 
That was the only question with a correct answer, and you got it!
 
 
Laughs  Well, not my bag, but “sucks” is simpler.
 
Fine, so I think we can say you’re politically solid.  So can I ask you what you’d like to see change over the next five years in general?
 
I’d like to see the conversation changing amongst people.  There are a number of different trends and institutions that I see as harmful that I’d like to start crumbling.  We’ve gone into mission creep status with wars, for example.  I’d like to see religious influence go down in a big way, too.  Personal faith is fine, but organised religion is causing more harm than good.  It’s a real problem when people start killing each other in the name of their spiritual beliefs, as we continue to see around the world.  Also I’d like to see money leave the political arena.  I don’t like the plutocracy we have in so many countries, and ours is no exception.  I’d like someone sensible in office – not just someone who’ll kowtow to others, but someone who stands up for their principles and won’t allow corruption in banking, corporations, and in Congress itself.  There’s a lot more I could cover, but to cap it off, I’d like to see more people get out there and try to do something.  I’m just a musician, but I’ll try to do my part wherever I can.
 
And what about your music?
 
I’d really like to establish music as more of a full-time career.  I want to see more people get paid for doing music.  Lots of work goes into music, and that needs to be recognised – people shouldn’t be doing it all for free.  Sure, charity gigs are great, but being in the habit of always working for free doesn’t pay the rent.  While maintaining my integrity, I’d like to do things more profitably for myself, shows, commission, that kind of thing.  Obviously, I wouldn’t start doing radio-friendly tracks.  But I’m starting to be able to turn my music into more of a profession.  I’m going to quit my job in January to take it up more full time.
 
Do your current employers know this?  Is this sensitive information?!
 
No, no, of course they know!  I gave them like 4-months’ notice!  And if any of them get to read this interview, I’d like to say that my current work is the best job I’ve ever had, I’ve enjoyed it loads, and if my plans in life go catastrophically wrong, I’d be happy to return.
 
Well, what more can we say?  It’s been a fascinating interview, thank you very much for the opportunity!  And best of luck for the future!
 
Thanks, it was a pleasure, and feel free to keep in touch.
 
 
And, with my questions spent, the line goes, well, morte.  As I drag my eyes away from th screen, I notice the sky has faded to black while we've been talking.  It can do that sort of thing, communicating with the dead...
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment